Saturday, September 15, 2007

X-rays

Yesterday I went to the doctor and got x-rays to follow up after the core decompression on the right hip. I also made sure they got my left hip too, so that Dr. Mont can check and see if I'm still a good candidate for resurfacing in November. I just went to my regular doctor, so we don't really know what the official interpretation is yet. Last Monday it had been four weeks after the surgery, but I couldn't get an appointment until Friday. And, I have an appointment with an orthopedist here next week. My doctor's office doesn't have the setup to make copies of x-rays, so I'll have to wait until after next week's appointment with the new orthopedist here to send the x-rays to Dr. Mont in Baltimore. Ugh! I'm ready to get rid of these crutches, at least some of the time. I'm in pretty bad pain so I'll probably keep them around, but it'll be nice to not have to use them.

Of course I snuck a peek at the x-rays. The left hip (the original bad one) looks terrible! I'm no doctor, but it's clear on the film that the top of the bone is misshapen and even the area above it looks messed up. I guess it's the cartilage, and I'm sure there's edema (swelling) too. No wonder the dang thing hurts!! The right hip, where I had the surgery, looks pretty much okay to me. I can't see the holes where they drilled, just one little flat area. I'm sure the orthopedist will be able to tell me all about it next week.

And in case you're wondering about my pain, yes it still hurts. The left hip, as I said, is just really painful, and often wince-inducing when I put weight on it or move it much. I kind of wish I had gone ahead and done the resurfacing on the left when I had the CD on the right. The right hip hurts some too, I guess about the same as before the surgery. I hope it worked.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Meg, I suppose yoga is completly out of the question?!!

Meg said...

um, yes, yoga is out of the question for now! That's one reason I'm going to try for the resurfacing instead of the hip replacement. It seems that it's less likely to become dislocated afterward.