Sunday, October 21, 2007

Getting Closer

I'm still on for the resurfacing in Baltimore on November 15. Everything seems to be falling into place: I've got the plane tickets and the hotel, the insurance has been approved, lined up a house sitter, and I'm getting things wrapped up at work. I'm really ready--lately I've been missing out on a lot of fun things because I just didn't feel like getting out. So, I'm looking forward to just being able to do what I want to do and not worry about how much standing or walking there will be, etc.

This surgery will be harder than the last one--I'll have several weeks of in-home rehab. they have to take the hip apart and put it back together, so I'll have to relearn to use the muscles and everything. And, there is a risk of complications during or after the surgery. One of the more common complications is that the femur neck can break. If it happens during the surgery while they are hammering on the metal cap that goes over the femur head, they just convert to a total hip replacement. But if it happens after the surgery, they have to go back in and convert it after the fact which doesn't sound fun at all. I think I'll be extra-conservative after the surgery for a few weeks to try and avoid this!

No comments: