Thursday, August 9, 2007

The most expensive CD I'll ever buy...

I'm talking about my upcoming surgery, called a core decompression. Early stages of osteonecrosis (ON) are often treated with core decompression (CD) to try and stop progression of the disease. CD is an outpatient procedure in which holes are drilled into the femoral head. This relieves some pressure and improves the blood supply to the bone. Reported success rates vary from 50%-80%; Dr. Mont, who is doing mine, says he has an 80% success rate. Once the degenerative process has begun, the sooner CD is performed the better the chances are of saving the hip. This is why Dr. Mont was so insistent that I have a CD as soon as possible. Younger and healthier patients also have better success rates.

I've heard varying reports on the recovery process from a CD. I just keep thinking--even if it's an outpatient procedure, they're drilling holes in my bone!! Dr. Mont says it's no big deal, 4-6 weeks of limited weight bearing (crutches and then later, a cane). The papers he sent me don't give a lot of specific information, so I think recovery varies from person to person depending on the healing process. They do say I won't be able to drive for 2-5 weeks. Also, I live on the third floor and there's no elevator, so I'll have to make it up and down the stairs on my crutches.

I'm lucky to have a fairly large support network so even if I'm essentially housebound I should have visitors to help me out with the essentials. I can stay with family and friends, but everyone I can stay with is either allergic to cats or has dogs, so I can't bring my kitties. I can have people check on them but they are so social I don't want to leave them at home alone for too long. Besides, don't you just want to be at home sometimes?

7 comments:

hundredsofbillions said...

hey meg, I have a dumb question- is "hip" the same thing as "pelvis"? the combination of femur+pelvis?

Meg said...

Hmm, I think pelvis is closer to the middle and hips are more on the sides, although sometimes people with ON have pain radiating to the pelvis.

Bobby C said...

Good luck this week. If you need anything, just ask.

Meg said...

thanks chilly. not sure who you are...

Janna said...

Meg,
Love the blog. Looks good. Good luck with everything tomorrow. I hope for a report and a quick recovery for you.
We all love you!
Janna, John and Oliver

Bimmer said...

Hi Meg - Looks like you should be up running around by now. I had my CD surgery last week and have only one problem. My right foot (had surgery on right hip) is cold and seems to be a differnt color than the left. How long was it before you r were able to walk again?

John

Meg said...

John

That sounds like something you need to call your doctor about (the different color in your foot). I didn't have anything like that.

I believe I was on crutches for about six weeks after the CD, until I was followed up with an x-ray. More recently I have had a hip resurfacing and am recovering from that.

meg