Sunday, August 19, 2007

Transportation alternatives

Fortunately my hip pain has decreased so much since Monday, I feel like I'm pretty much back to where I was before I had the surgery. I'm sure that using the crutches and keeping the weight off helps. I have to use the crutches for at least 3 more weeks, and after that can go off them only with the doctor's approval. I had been using one anyway from time to time to help with the pain. However, using two crutches is difficult--since I'm using my hands to get around, I can't carry anything. It's also tiring.

Since my surgery I've been using wheelchairs to get around inside stores when they have them available, so I can use my hands to carry stuff and so I don't get too worn out. I also love to do things that normally require a lot of walking, like going to art festivals, museums, on walks etc. Mom and I decided that a wheelchair might come in handy for me for things like this, that I haven't been able to do otherwise and especially can't do right now (not to mention after I have the eventual hip replacement surgery).

We ordered one on the internet and it should be here Tuesday. I'm excited about it because I think I'll be able to have the freedom to do some things pain-free that I haven't done in a while. On the other hand, I don't want to become dependent on it and get weak leg muscles, so I'm planning on only using it for outings that require a lot of walking--which I would otherwise avoid. Also, I don't like running into people that don't know about my situation when I'm in one. Crutches make people think "temporary injury", while a wheelchair says "permanent disability". Even though that isn't the case for me, it makes people sad to see me in one and I don't want to make people sad!! So please--if you see me in a wheelchair-- I'm not worse, just giving myself the freedom to do something I would have probably otherwise have avoided (or at least would have otherwise been in a fair amount of pain while doing it).

No comments: