Saturday, November 17, 2007

2 days down

I think I mentioned how tired I was yesterday... I dozed off and on all day. I could hardly keep my eyes open even when the physical therapists were here talking to me, and needless to say I couldn't read or watch TV (which makes me sleepy anyway).

Today I was much less tired, no naps at all so far and it's 6:30! This morning was really busy with visits from the nurse, a resident who changed my wound dressing (I got to see my incision for the first time which made me cry), Dr. Mont who did the surgery, and the physical therapist. I decided to try my crutches with the physical therapist rather than the walker and I actually felt like I could get around much better with them than with the walker. What a relief! I was too dizzy and light-headed to walk down the hall to the PT area so I got rolled down in a chair, where I practiced going up and down stairs. Because of the dizziness they gave me another IV with fluids which seemed to help right away, and I went walking in the hall later with the nurse. Also my great friend Kirsty came down from New York with her 2-year-old daughter and they were great entertainment! We had lots of fun.

Of course I am still very sore and I keep thinking "is it supposed to hurt this much?" But truthfully it really mostly hurts when I'm up and about, and when I'm sitting and lying down the pain has already subsided a great deal. I'm excited about how much progress I've made today. Tomorrow I'm supposed to be discharged from the hospital and then fly back to Atlanta on Monday! Last night I couldn't have imagined doing this but tonight I feel much more confident about it.

4 comments:

Lila King said...

Hooray, Meg! I'm so glad to hear you're doing well, if a little sore and a lot tired. Can't wait to see you back in Atlanta. Have a safe trip!

Lillian said...

I'm also so glad to hear that the surgery went well and that you're doing okay. Yay!!!

Lillian said...

OMG. I just noticed how my name reads above my comment. How dorky! Sorry about that. (I guess I've never commented under my blogger acct before.) Since I felt compelled to come back and point out the dorkiness, I will leave you with a cute chipmunk picture so that this 2nd comment won't be a complete waste of time. Oh, and Yaaaaay again. ;)

hundredsofbillions said...

Now I'm curious about the incision... will you have a scar to show off with your surgery tales? I overuse the word awesome, but that does actually fill me with awe.

So relieved that you're through with all that and can recover at home soon!