Thursday, November 15, 2007

4 AM, Baltimore

We arrived in Baltimore yesterday for the surgery. The flight was uneventful. I had to go to the hospital for one blood test which was no big deal. I was advised not to eat or drink anything after midnight, and the surgery's not until 1:45 PM, so to "tide myself over" I stuffed my face at dinner last night! Yummy crab cakes and mashed potatoes and bread and pie and wine... needless to say, a full belly, nerves and pain are keeping me from sleeping! I think I'm almost as nervous as not being able to have coffee, water, breakfast or lunch as I am about the actual surgery. I can't stand skipping meals, and as soon as I think about the fact that I'm not supposed to drink water I feel absolutely parched.

We are going to a class at the hospital at 8, where we'll learn more about recovery and rehab. Mom and Dad are going with me. Then I check in for surgery at 10:30.

Although I think the next couple of weeks will be hard, I'm really excited right now about getting my active life back. I'm also very excited that my good friend Kirsty is coming down from New York to see me in Baltimore! I haven't been able to visit her recently because of a generally busy life and then health problems, so I'm really looking forward to it. She'll bring her 2-year-old, and I can't wait to see them both.

My niece Lauren says she's going to help me feel better when I get back home with "a really big Pirate Band-Aid with a little bit of love on it too."

Next update I'll hopefully have my new bionic hip!

No comments: