Tuesday, November 20, 2007

6 days down

Six days out. My hip is sore, but it's manageable. It's hard for me to move my left leg, although getting easier and easier. At first I had to have someone lift it and move it to get in and out of bed. Now I can get in bed myself, although I still need a little help getting out of bed (I have a leg-lifter and I'm getting pretty good at using it).

I have some precautions I have to follow for about 6 weeks: my thigh can't be less than a right angle to my torso, my leg can't cross the midline of my body, and I can't twist the hip or leg. Basically this means I have to sit in chairs with arms so I can use them to push up, and I can't cross my legs. I have to sleep with this huge wedge between my legs to make sure I don't cross them or twist in my sleep. It looks rather torturous but I really don't mind it, I'd rather have it than worry about moving the wrong way.

Lillian was commenting about Roald Dahl's hip bone. In my case, my scar is the only souvenir because they didn't take as much bone out as with a total hip replacement. They shaved off the top of the femoral head and capped it with an implant. They also put a metal cup in the acetabulum, or pelvic hip. This resurfacing technique preserves more bone for later in life, in case I need a revision. It also allows for more range of motion and once it's all healed, is less likely to become dislocated than a typical total hip replacement. That means I can do yoga again one day, yay!
To the right is a picture of the kind of implant I have. Click on the picture for more information about resurfacing courtesy of Wright, the company that made my new hip.
Today I walked outside a little bit for practice. Stay tuned tomorrow, I'm planning to post a video of me walking with my flame crutches and shiny new bionic hip!

No comments: